Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Plagiarism

When the subject arose in class today regarding plagiarism a word that is as taboo to college students as Beer is to a southern Baptist. I thought of my final project last quarter. We made a video that was a compilation of videos from YT. But we took the videos and put them in a sequence that was not only entertaining but formed some kind of an argument. Please note that in the final version there was a bib at the end of the short (just in case). 




 A long time ago probably when I had to write my first research paper in HS we got this massive lecture on the evil P word. I remember being so scared that I would write a sentence that was similar to something that was written somewhere. I had writers block for the entire assignment and failed the paper. I felt that nothing I could do was going to be original. 

Now I think of it like legos. No, I didn't make the legos but I can make them do anything I want. Or think of GMO's and cloning we are not creating only rearranging and then placing them in a habitat that is conducive for growth. 

So it dosen't really matter what you read or observe because they are the same. You didn't make the book nor did you make the world. 

However you can influence the world and books can influence us...

In the snow-sports industry we refer to this as the R&D dept. (research and duplicate).Meanign that a product has only a one year life. It is capitalism at its finest every year you have to have something new because your new idea will be everyone else's.   Interesting to note that the snow industry dosen't have any monopoly lawsuits or any history of them. Unlike internet companies.  

Pray for Snow
Willko

3 comments:

Joe Milutis said...

Here's a more mechanical point: it's always nicer to embed your video within the blog that just have a link. I didn't go over that, but easy enough to fool around and find out.
Your video is an interesting case in point regarding the plagiarism issue. On the one hand, the video itself takes on issues of intellectual property, creative commons, and sharing. And so, if you wanted to have form to follow function, you would have a creative use of sampling in the video. However, since the beginning of the video is about . .. is it 3 minutes? . . . of news reporting, I sit there waiting for something that is yours--either some good editing/choosing of sound bites or maybe you talking about the issue in your own words. So it's a good example where I wouldn't mind the "plagiarism" as much; what I'd ask for that you transform the source material more, especially since the "quoted" material goes on so long. IF for example, you had a piece just with the text you created that might be enough, and more straightforward. Or if you had a link to those news reports, and then a commentary in your blog, that would also be a good way to make it clear that you are appreciating another's work. If you wanted to appropriate another's work, I would just work more on really making the montage between your video and theirs much more intense.

willko said...

Thanks I felt the same way when it was done. I was however torn and really had no where to look for answers (hoping this class will help). I felt that in the world I knew I was treading on new ground even though I knew that I really wasn't

On one hand I wanted to just jump right in and get deeper into the issues but the assignment was more of an overview and I didn't want a 100 questions afterwards asking me so what did Radiohead do? That being said your idea of using web 2.0 to create a blog around it would have been the better option.

Christine said...

I couldn't get the videos to work. I am not real familiar with technology, blogs, youtube and such so I must be doing something wrong. I click on the play arrow and nothing happens. Any suggestions Will for me to watch?